Sunday, December 23, 2012

What a Trickster!

Twice now Socrates has tricked me into thinking he was dead. The first time, I came home only to see a shell floating around in the water. Being my first snail, I didn't know what a dead yellow apple snail looked like, so I began researching what a dead one looks like. I picked him up out of the water and tried moving him back on to the glass, but he never responded. I learned that a dead snail stinks terribly, as I looked up at my tank, I saw him blissfully cruising up the glass as if nothing had ever happened. As you can imagine, I was overjoyed to see this and glad I didn't bury him alive, but also upset that he would play such a cruel joke. The next instance, I noticed that he had not moved at all since that morning. I kept an eye on him, and he still failed to move around. I had to go to a family event, and hoped to see him active when I returned. And what do ya know... when I got back a few hours later,  he was cruising along as usual! I don't know what it is with snails, they just love playing possum!


2 comments:

  1. haha! I did a science lab where we kept an aquarium. We thought our snail was dead too, but I guess they just love staying still for long periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! Or they just love to see our shocked and confused faces..... hahahaaa.

    ReplyDelete